I wonder what she thought
As she stood there, strong and tall
She couldn't turn away, She was forced to watch it all.
Did she long to offer comfort
As Her country bled?
With her arm forever frozen
High above her head.
She could not shield her eyes
She could not hide her face
She just stared across the water
Keeping Freedom's Place.
The smell of smoke and terror
Somehow reduced her size
So small within the harbor
But still we recognized. . .
How dignified and beautiful
On a day so many died
I wonder what she thought,
And I know she must have cried.
Last month marked my 10th anniversary at work. I had printed off and saved this poem at my desk ever since 9-11 happened (2 weeks after I started). Unfortunately, I don't have the name of the person who wrote it.
Although we did take a family vacation to New York/DC when I was in elementary school, I'm not sure I was aware of the "Twin Towers" before. Since working at MetLife (and taking sailing lessons on the Hudson!), I know much more about the layout of NYC. Soon after 9-11, my boss and I took a ferry across the Hudson to the Financial District and walked around the area and went into a church where a lot of the memorials were. It means a lot more to me now -I hope to visit the memorial.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




1 comment:
That little church is sooooo amazing. How it is still standing is a pure miracle. I LOVE NY!!
Post a Comment