Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Smarter than a 5th Grader?

I preface this by saying I took a lot of geography classes in college. . . . . .
I learned all about the different cloud types, how our landscape is formed, etc. but I don't ever remember studying different countries or where they are located.

Of course, I do remember having the direction (East, West, North, South) signs in our elementary classrooms and I just never could figure out which way I was facing when I got out of the room :) So to this day - I think about where I am in relationship to Lebo and know that Lebo is East of Emporia (I suppose because I heard my mom say this to people every time she was asked where Lebo was) - and then I can tell you where I'm facing. I also use Texas as a reference point in my head, but now you're going to think I'm really strange. . . . .

I say all this because I got a map of the world a couple years ago from work with fun Snoopy characters on it. Last night I hung it up in Brady's room and Brady and Brett would point at different countries and I'd tell them what they were. (Not sure why, but Brett pointed to China every time and would say it after me) I'm embarrassed to say I had no idea where Afghanistan was really. SO, I'm definitely going to be learning a lot from this map too!


No comments: