Wednesday, March 23, 2011

San Diego - Day 1 and 2

Spring break started a couple days early for the kiddos - we left for San Diego the afternoon of Wed, March 9th. It was sort of surreal - we don't typically go anywhere over spring break so it kind of snuck up on us. I picked the boys up at school after lunch - it was cold outside, Ed and I were both busy at work and I think we were all ready to get away.

The day before we left, Ed reserved a limo to take us to the airport and we surprised the boys. If all else failed, at least we could say we took off in style!


The boys were excited to ride in a plane again.




Thursday morning we headed down to the USS Midway Museum , a "retired" aircraft carrier.



They had numbers identifying everything throughout the ship and you could listen about each one on a walkie-talkie and they had people giving more in-depth tours of specific areas. (They had one of the planes from Top Gun, but I don't have a pic of it. )



I love this pic taken out the window of the captain quarters/navigation area.



We took the "kid" tour which was a shortened version of the walkie-talkie tour and they gave you a brochure with questions to answer. After turning in the completed brochure, they gave the kids their Junior Pilot License.




This statue was down the street from the ship. I thought it was so cool. I definitely have to say after taking the tour and just being in the San Diego area, I have a bigger appreciation for everything the people who serve our country do and go through. (And the amazing training they have to have). We saw military planes and big ships throughout our trip.


Ed had found where the San Diego Catbackers met before we left - Pacific Beach Bar & Grill. Luckily, it turned out to be a pretty fun place with good food. We ate lunch there on Thursday and watched KSU lose to Colorado (Boo!) and then spent the rest of the day at Pacific Beach, just a few blocks away.


No comments: