Friday, August 14, 2009

Day 3 - Portland



Saturday morning we headed to the Saturday Market in Portland. They had booths to look at and then we headed down to a fountain so the boys could play. A couple people had told me about the fountain so we came prepared with the boys' suits, but at the time they were the only ones in it so I didn't think it was a popular place. However, later that night we drove by and it was very crowded.





After that we went to Powell's Bookstore, the largest used/new bookstore in the country. I could've stayed there a long time, but tried to make it short for the rest of the family. Picked up the first Hardy Boys and Boxcar Children's books though, so felt successful when we left.

We also went to Nike Town and rode the train for a short time.

Have you ever seen public water fountains that are always running? Portland had these on the streets every so often and the water was continous. Definitely made me stop and look.



I post this picture because in the background a young homeless guy was sitting by a post while I was taking it and I heard him talking (to us presumably) but I didn't hear him. I turned to Ed to see if he heard and Brady goes, "He said, 'Get a bum in the picture.'" I was so surprised that Brady heard and repeated it (but had no idea what he was saying).



At the end of the day, we took the bus over to the Hawthorne district to see their shops. Here's a pic of the boys resting in the windowsill waiting for the bus after a long day of walking - one of my favorite pics of the trip because they weren't ready for it and I got REAL smiles.



No comments: