Friday, January 22, 2010

The Choice

While trying to organize one of my infamous "piles" that contains images of what I want to make, buy, vacation, play, wear . . . .I found this "story" that I have saved from college. I love it.

The Choice
I watched some men tearing a
building down.
A group of men in my hometown.
With a heave & a ho & a mighty yell,
They swung the ball & a sidewalk fell.
And I said to the foreman,
"Are these men skilled, the type you'd
hire if you want to build?"
And he smiled, then laughed &
said "No indeed;
common labor is all I need.
For we can tear down in a day or two
what it took a builder years to do."
As I turned, I shook my head;
I knew there was truth in
what he said.
And I thought to myself as I
walked away,
Which of the roles am I
going to play?
Am I builder as I work with care,
Measuring life by the rule & square?
Am I shaping my deeds to a
well-laid plan, carefully
doing the best I can?
Or am I wrecker as I walk
the town, content with the
labor of tearing down?
--Unknown

No comments: