Monday, September 22, 2008

Charlotte's web?

It didn't take much to entertain us this weekend - when I came home Saturday night Brady was so excited to show me what they had found. I didn't expect to see this! Ed handled this so much better than I would have - they just left it alone and went inside to read about it on the internet. They found out it was a "writing spider" (black & yellow argiope) -

From Wikipedia:
Like almost all other spiders, Argiope are harmless to humans. Like most garden spiders they eat insects, and they are capable of consuming prey up to twice their size.

. . . and sometime during the conversation Ed said, "If he writes your name in it's web, you're a dead man." so Brady was telling people that :)



The internet also had videos of the spider wrapping up it's prey in the web, which was pretty interesting. Ed found a dead grasshopper and threw in into the web and I couldn't believe how quickly it really happened.



And we checked on him all weekend long. Seriously folks, hours of entertainment :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.