Friday, January 16, 2009

Perspective

Things are super busy at work. Yesterday I was talking to my boss, who was in the airport traveling back to KC after being in one of our NJ offices all week, and she had to get off the phone because her flight was taking off. 15 minutes later Ed emailed me the CNN Headlines story about a plane going down in NYC. I was 90% sure that wasn't the airport she was leaving from, but sometimes it is cheaper to leave from LGA even though Newark is closer so wasn't 100% sure. And the timing would have been very close to when I thought she was leaving.

So even though something like that is never good and I feel for everyone involved, to imagine that my boss was one of the passengers really hit home. Suddenly my thoughts turned to things that really matter and a lot of my work stuff was put into perspective.

On my way home I was listening to the radio and heard how brave the pilot was and how he had gone back through the entire plane before he would get off. It's such a blessing to hear these stories and be so thankful for those that have people's lives in their hands on a daily basis and do such a great job.

It seems like I've had a lot of chances to experience these people in the last few months. I felt a similar way listening to the surgeon who took care of the boys' surgeries and felt so much appreciation that someone knew how to "fix" their problems. Each day truly is a blessing and I don't want to forget that.

.
picture from CNN.com

No comments: